• You are not logged in.

Panther 1.1.0: News

• Started by Chris98
  • 6 Replies
  • Chris98
  • Project Manager

Hi everyone,

We're busy working on Panther 1.1.0 and we've decided to delay the release by another week, and we wanted to share the reason for doing so with the community.

We've been working extremely hard to get the release ready for today but unfortunately it still isn't quite ready yet. We've introduced Twig to replace the old template system, which in itself, took a month for me to complete.

We've also been fixing bugs, dropped PHP 5.2 support and also better enhanced the code such as creating a function to handle forum subscriptions. We've had a thorough review of the code, and have then moved on to the styles when we were sure no more bugs in the templating exist. This is to ensure that the templating is perfect for the release.

However, while we have made a lot of progress there is still a fair amount to complete. We are introducing a new feature called 'themes'. A style can now (as of 1.1.0) contain 'themes' which the administrator of the board can customise. This allows the board to be displayed in different ways in a single click of the admin panel. Additionally, we have been working on a new theme for the website and are re-organising the admin panel structure and design. The style is currently optimised for Chrome only. This is part of the reason we're delaying the release.

I also thought I'd display some screenshots of the style so that you know as much as I do, how good this is going to be! Be sure to post your comments so we can hear YOUR feedback, let us know what you all think!

panther.jpg

Kind regards,
Christopher Marshall
chris [at] get-aura [dot] org

Project Manager

• Roman

I like these screenshots!

• Chris98
  • Project Manager

Great to hear it! Stay tuned for some amazing updates to your forum! smile

Kind regards,
Christopher Marshall

Project Manager

• cyberman

Really nice.

Will there be a theme converter? 

I ask cause I have to decide if I use 1.0.9 template system or 1.1.0 ... woun't do the work two times wink.

Another point I see "Sticky", "Closed", "Poll" and so on are very present on the new view - is there a possibility to define own tags? Like this

https://fluxbb.org/resources/mods/topictags/

Universe is corrupt. Reboot: Y/N?

• Chris98
  • Project Manager

For a theme converter I don't really think there will be - the old template system was very confusing and what makes it harder to convert is the fact that Twig syntax is now in the new templates whereas before nothing was present.

However - it shouldn't be too difficult on porting some across, depending on how much was done on the old legacy template system. If you can give an idea of how much needs converting, maybe a developer could even assist you doing it.

I would also like to note though that FluxBB templates will be provided separately. We're discontinuing the use of them with the new style but the templates will be provided in the new Twig format inside a zip file when we announce 1.1.0.

Regarding the topic tags, not at the moment. But I'm currently rewriting the extensions system to a database driven one. This is much more secure, as you upload an XML file to administration which is properly validated, rather than a PHP one. It's also a lot more flexible. I'll try to put hooks in wherever possible and that *should* make something like this possible. I'll certainly try as much as I can.

The hard part though, is allowing hooks to get into the template system. I may well simply have to leave that part as it's much less predictable with Twig and I'm not sure it would properly work ...

• Last edited by Chris98 (06-11-2015 09:06:01)

Kind regards,
Christopher Marshall

Project Manager

• cyberman

I've asked cause we want to switch to a responsive (non FluxBB style) theme so it's important to know the background wink.

[size=2][font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]But I'm currently rewriting the extensions system to a database driven one. This is much more secure,[/font][/size]

Not sure, if this would be good hmm. Sure, it's securer but you will loose some performance in cause of additional database requests...

Universe is corrupt. Reboot: Y/N?

• Chris98
  • Project Manager

I've come to the stage where the extensions system is pretty much complete. However, we're also adding a new security feature with the new system. Extensions that are attempted to be installed will be checked on install to see if they are 'Panther approved'. This essentially is whether or not the development team here have approved them.

If the team here have not approved the extension and it's not hosted here, then it will display a warning informing them that it could be dangerous. Additionally, the new system allows you to enable/disable extensions on your forum and it is a more enhanced version of the old system.

And the extensions that are enabled are automatically cached on the forum, and loaded from that. I don't think that speed will be that much of an issue because once you enable or disable an extension it will automatically add/remove it from the cache to keep the load optimal.

In fact - compared with the old FluxBB styled extensions, it's actually faster:

Old:

[ Generated in 0.073 seconds, 11 queries executed - Memory usage: 3.16 MiB (Peak: 3.32 MiB) ]

New:

[ Generated in 0.058 seconds, 11 queries executed - Memory usage: 3.14 MiB (Peak: 3.29 MiB) ]

This is taken from the board index. There are more hooks in the new one and they are better than before.

Kind regards,
Christopher Marshall

Project Manager

Users in this topic: 0 guests, 0 registered users