• You are not logged in.

Is this software still being developed?

• Started by Excl
  • 23 Replies
  • Excl

Hi!

I recently found this website while searching for a software to host my forums through, I have to say this looks really promising and I'm enjoying the style and smootheness of this compared to PHPBB.

But I have to ask, since I can see the last commit to the repository was over 3 months ago, is this project still in development?
I'm aware that doing things take a lot of time, I just want to know if its worth investing my time into your software.

• Last edited by Excl (19-09-2017 15:39:36)
  • wimc

Been waiting and waiting for changes.

• Weksart
  • Styles Lead/Co-Manager

Hi eveybody, sorry for the delay. Our IRL life is overloading us...
But yes, this software is still in development! We have some great ideas for the future, it's maybe gonna be longer than expected but finally I think Aura will turn very good.

We're still here for any questions.
And I have to say thanks to people who are waiting for it!

• wimc

Seems there is lack of communication, which makes forum software look completely dead.

• Weksart
  • Styles Lead/Co-Manager

Sorry if that is your feeling, we've got a new name which is Aura, then we're trying to manage our IRL lifes to be back, seriously back. Now the project can be seen as a dead project, but don't worry, it is not and we're not.

Remember that everything we do here is a voluntary work and that we are doing our maximum to keep it up.

• Chris98
  • Project Manager

Yeah- adding to what [user]Weks[/user] has said, this is most definitely still active. I actually do have the latest version all ready to release (other than styling changes) but as a team we feel this shouldn't be done until we can get the new website up and running. This is taking a lot of time to get right and we haven't managed to get far yet.

But the new website is going to be a lot more improved, a lot more structured and trust me the wait will eventually be worth it. Again with communication issues as [user]Weks[/user] has already pointed out, our real lives are all pretty busy at the moment and there are unfortunately only three of us working on the project which means that not a lot of progress can take place. But we are doing what we can to get other projects out the way, finished off, trying to find time to spend on this. This combined with the unfortunate circumstances which lead to us changing brand (which was partially under consideration anyway by us) led to the possible drop in activity on the forums.

Don't forget though that with changing the brand also comes a lot of other changes as well in the code (every occurrence of panther for a start), plus the converter, plus other things as well, and we need to carefully test everything from scratch to make sure it's all working again and no new bugs have been introduced .etc. by doing all this. A lot of work.

I can absolutely assure you that this project is not dead and I do apologise for the lack of activity here. There are updates coming soon- we also plan on emailing out all forum members on mass letting them know when the new version has been released too, and other important communication updates. So hopefully this can resolve various issues in the near future when we have time.

Kind regards,
Christopher Marshall
chris [at] get-aura [dot] org

Project Manager

• cyberman

Great to hear - if you need help by replacing all “Panther“ strings with “Aura“ feel free to ask.

Should be done asap for SEO reasons.

Universe is corrupt. Reboot: Y/N?

• Abdulhalim

It was good news, I am waiting for new scripts also new new looks.
Thanks guys.

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

I’m working on improving my English

• Chris98
  • Project Manager
cyberman said:

Great to hear - if you need help by replacing all “Panther“ strings with “Aura“ feel free to ask.

Should be done asap for SEO reasons.

Thanks for the offer- that would be brilliant if you could lend us a hand a bit on some things. I've just about changed all the strings in the new version of the forum itself, and that is virtually ready. But what is slowing us down majorly now is the new site and this website. I don't want to release the next version until we can get the new site ready because some URLs .etc. will change here and it's a tough job. We haven't managed to get that far yet with it.

What will be done though, is a massive upheaval of everything on the current site and we'll make it much more professional.

Kind regards,
Christopher Marshall

Project Manager

• Abdulhalim

Is there any news?? I think Aura is in sleep mode!

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

• cyberman

Sleep mode can be good to collect power for a great comeback smile but I'm afraid something other...

• Chris98
  • Project Manager

Hi guys!

Yes, we are very much alive (even if our site doesn't say so wink ). I've recently been rewriting and optimising the extensions system. This is A LOT more flexible now, and has much more functionality. At the moment you can install plugins and forum templates through extensions as well as everything you could prior. When I'm done you're going to be able to add your own tasks and your own styles & language files as well. This shouldn't take too long to do.

[user]weks[/user] is focussing on the styling aspects and our next version *should* be released within the next month (supposing everything goes to plan ...). Once this is done we're going to revamp the website and then start getting into a much more stringent release schedule. I know I've said this before, but I can only apologise again for the fact this has taken so long. I'm afraid real life has pulled us all in different directions lately and there's been a lot going on out of our control!

We are only a small team still, but we are trying our very best to get this done as quickly as possible. On the plus side, the changelog for this version is HUGE. You can view it here: https://gitlab.com/PantherForum/Panther … ANGELOG.md

I personally am very, very satisfied with the massive amount we have moved forward in this version. Obviously there's still a lot to do which is an ongoing process, but we have moved forward considerably in this version. Most of it is more "hidden" as in you don't visually see improvements unless you go digging in PHP, but believe me, they are definitely there.

We've also been testing things out too. If you guys are interested in trialling the next version so far for us, I could email it to you and you could give us feedback on what you think. I know we'd definitely appreciate it!

• Last edited by Chris98 (05-02-2018 17:58:46)

Kind regards,
Christopher Marshall

Project Manager

• Weksart
  • Styles Lead/Co-Manager

I think Chris said everything...
Things are going to be awesome and sorry for the delay!

cyberman said:

Sleep mode can be good to collect power for a great comeback, but I'm afraid something other...

I think you're right with the first part of your sentence (:

• wimc

Chris, a post every once in awhile is good.

I am going to stick around, after all, still looking forward whats to come.

• cyberman

Great news:).

Please don't forget documentation. Have a lot of mods I want / need to include...

And yes, I'm waiting for a working transfer mode for FluxBB.

Please let me know if I can help!

• Abdulhalim

Hello Guys,

I hope this version be the best, I am waiting, and how can I reach the trial version to test?

Regards,
Abdulhalim

• Chris98
  • Project Manager

Great news guys! And yes, we definitely won't forget documentation. smile Although it may take some time to roll out properly because of how much work needs doing.

I've finished the updated extensions system and tested it, it works very well and I'm really quite satisfied with it. 'Plugins' are now obsolete. Any modifications done to the code are now done through extensions. Plugins can be included within an extension, but you'll never have to upload any external plugin by itself ever again as everything is in a single XML file from now on.

Also, another important thing to note is that in-line with what [user]Weks[/user] recommended, this version will be a Beta version of Aura. He's quite right when he says that it would be best to trial it and roll it out first which will give more stability. The DESIGN of the forum in the current trial will remain the same as this one as well, in order to give some stability. Thanks [user]cyberman[/user] too for your offer of help smile I'll send you an email.

Also [user]Abdulhalim[/user], got your email just now, I'll send it to you via email to test, thanks!

Kind regards,
Christopher Marshall

Project Manager

• wimc

Getting closer and closer to 2 years, whats up?

I am actually about ready to give up.

• Chris98
  • Project Manager

I'll speak to [user]weks[/user] later today and see what's happened. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Kind regards,
Christopher Marshall

Project Manager

• wimc

Do not want to push it ahead too fast, rather have something in working order than have it buggy.

Would be nice to see status updates of some sort posted once in a while. No silence for days or weeks. And I know real life can alter that.

• Chris98
  • Project Manager

We're finished with the release now. Just a case of uploading it. I'd like to move all the existing code to GitHub before we release it, to avoid clashes in versions later down the line, so we're going to do that first. I'll keep you posted.

Kind regards,
Christopher Marshall

Project Manager

• wimc

Sounds good, will be running it, more than likely just test it.

• Chris98
  • Project Manager

I've released the long awaited next version! You can find out more info here.

Kind regards,
Christopher Marshall

Project Manager

• wimc
Chris98 said:

I've released the long awaited next version! You can find out more info here.

No link, but already saw and posted in it, if the release topic.

Users in this topic: 0 guests, 0 registered users