• You are not logged in.

Conversions from phpBB!

• Started by Chris98
  • 7 Replies
  • Chris98
  • Project Manager

Today marks a new achievement for Panther Forum Software as we now officially support converting from phpBB to the forum. An extension has already been submitted to the extensions centre for converting phpBB passwords.

The converter supports converting from phpBB 3.1.x, and supports user passwords of Bcrypt 2y, Bcrypt, Salted MD5 as well as PHPass.

I've also taken this time to correct a few potential problems in the converter if specific settings are configured and some very specific circumstances happen. You can view the full list of all forum software we now convert from at https://www.get-aura.org/convert/

This has been tested very well on the latest version, but if anyone does have any problems, don't hesitate to let one of our team members know about this. Meanwhile the Panther team is preparing plans for a brand new website and we will be commencing this in January 2017 - we'll be keeping you all up-to-date on the progress and we're looking forward to these updates.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Kind regards,
Christopher Marshall
chris [at] get-aura [dot] org

Project Manager

• Abdulhalim

Congratulate and merry x-mas to all member smile

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

I’m working on improving my English

• cyberman
Chris98 said:

if anyone does have any problems, don't hesitate to let one of our team members know about this.

How long should this procedure running?

Have here a FluxBB 1.4 database with a size of 28 MB (compressed) / 345 MB (uncompressed) - the wheel (preparing the database) is running since an hour. Not sure if there's something wrong... PHP 5.4.45 / MySQL 5.5.53

By the way - there's a bug inside /convert/include/templates/footer.tpl, line 5 (or convert.po smile )

<li{% if page == 'start' %} class="current"{% elseif page != 'welcome' %} class="status-good"{% endif %}><a href="#"><span>{{ lang.t('Step 2') }}</span> {{ lang.t('Start conversion section') }}</a></li>

msgid 'Start conversion section' does not exist inside convert.po ... but msgid 'Start conversion' (line 40)

Universe is corrupt. Reboot: Y/N?

• cyberman

Ten hours later ... the wheel is rotating sad.

What's wrong? What's to do?

Think I have a more smaller forum - round about 800 members, 4600 topics, 38800 replies.

• Chris98
  • Project Manager

Hi cyberman,

I really do apologise for this problem.

This was a problem with the 1.1.3 version of the forum. The first issue is with the installation (the attachments path is detected incorrectly and has a missing slash at some point in the path), and the second is with the error handler, see ticket #YCZ-278-40842. If an error occurs on an AJAX request, the headers which are sent in the error handler were interfering with the response sent informing you of the error, thus causing (in this case) the wheel to consistently spin and not update the user on the conversion progress.

There is one other issue as well, after conversion the first time you load a page you may receive either a server error if emails cannot be sent, or an email to your Administrator email address informing you that an upgrade failed.

This is not the case, it is purely the way the way the response from checking the version suggested by the updater is handled. If we don't want to upgrade to that version, it returns false back to the updater, which returns false back to the automatic updater, which in turn attempts to do that. This will be fixed in the next version of the forum.

In regards to the language pack, unfortunately, this is another issue which was present in the 1.1.3 version of the forum. I am very glad to say that it has been fixed now (that language files could not be used in multiple language directories), and will be fully translated in 1.1.4. This fix has been implemented on the converter (second parameter when loading a language resource) but because 1.1.3 is still using the old language handler & cache manager, unfortunately it doesn't currently work on there yet.

All of these problems have already been rectified in the next version of the forum, and is 200% more stable and optimised already - the main index page and default forum loading approximately 0.1 seconds quicker on a default installation and the default topic loads approximately 0.2 seconds quicker.

If I may, I'd suggest that it would probably be better waiting until this next version is released before converting. It's purely an optimisation and bug-fixing release from this point on, (I've added a new Moderator functionality to allow entire user groups to moderate forums, and a new 'config.xml' for styles) but other than these, it's all bug fixes and optimisation.

Once again, I really do apologise that it has caused problems and fell short of your expectations.

Kind regards,
Christopher Marshall

Project Manager

• cyberman

Thx for your fast reply ... will wait. It's all right.

Would only trying it. "Hot" converting ... means complete switch to Panther ... it's planned for later big_smile.

• Chris98
  • Project Manager

Certainly very well planned. big_smile

Everything will be fully working in 1.1.4. This is by a long way, the best ever release. smile

Kind regards,
Christopher Marshall

Project Manager

• cyberman
Chris98 said:

the best ever release. smile

Cant await this smile 

• Last edited by cyberman (13-01-2017 17:53:55)

Users in this topic: 0 guests, 0 registered users